Just For Teens
Low Income Resources
- Aging and Senior Citizens
- Conflict Prevention and Mediation
- Divorce and Custody
- Family Fitness
- Just for Teens
- Young Leaders
- Teach With Movies (Frieden and Elliott)
Provides reviews of movies that include elements of lesson plans and background materials. Films rated by age appropriateness. Designed for parents, but appropriate for teachers. Also includes a section on films that have merit, but provides reasons why the films are not a preferred medium for use in teaching children.
- Adoption Resources (AdoptionNetwork)
Provides information for birth parents, adoptees, and parents.
- LookSmart Web Organizer for the Family (LookSmart, Ltd.)
- Coupons for Discounts (Awesome Library)
Provides coupons for discounts in thousands of retail stores. Also includes a coupon for a free 8x10 JCPenney portrait, including a free sitting, for Awesome Library visitors. 06-06
- Personal Finance (Awesome Library)
Provides online information on personal credit and financial planning.
- -07-10-07 Report: Americans Become More "Adult-Centered" (Christian Science Monitor)
"Americans' child-free years are expanding as empty-nest seniors live longer and more young adults delay – or skip – childbearing. In 1960, nearly half of all households had children under 18. By 2000, the portion had fallen to less than a third, and in a few short years it's projected to drop to a quarter, according to a report from the National Marriage Project." 07-07
- A Brief Therapy Heals Trauma in Children (New York Times)
"In many cases, the trauma is unknown to parents and caregivers or never dealt with effectively. The consequences can be devastating for the children and families involved and for society at large. These children are at much greater risk of developing behavioral problems, failing at school, abusing drugs or alcohol and becoming violent themselves."
"But there’s good news here: The report describes a remarkably effective brief intervention developed at the trauma center that, according to Steven R. Marans, professor of psychiatry at Yale and director of the center, greatly diminishes symptoms in traumatized children and those who care for them." 04-12
- Articles for Parents by Topic (Geoparent.com)
Provides hundreds of articles with suggestions for parents. 7-02
- Babies (Geoparent.com)
Provides suggestions for parents who have babies. 7-02
- Children Ages 6 - 12 (Geoparent.com)
Provides suggestions for parents who have children who are 6 - 12 years old. 7-02
- Facing Death as a Family (CBS News)
"This is an unbelievable, but true tale of physical and emotional rescue told from the inside out."
- Family Education Network
- Family Together Time Has Decreased (Family1st.org)
Reports on a study that shows the time families (parents with kids) spend together has decreased in recent years and free play time for kids has also decreased. 9-01
- How to Live With Just 100 Things (Time.com)
"Excess consumption is practically an American religion. But as anyone with a filled-to-the-gills closet knows, the things we accumulate can become oppressive. With all this stuff piling up and never quite getting put away, we're no longer huddled masses yearning to breathe free; we're huddled masses yearning to free up space on a countertop. Which is why people are so intrigued by the 100 Thing Challenge, a grass-roots movement in which otherwise seemingly normal folks are pledging to whittle down their possessions to a mere 100 items." 06-08
- Missing and Exploited Children Database
Provides information by state and city.
- Personal Finance Basics (Bankrate.com)
Provides tips on personal finances. 6-01
- Suggestions About Teens (FamilyEducation.com)
Provides articles to help parents with their teens. 7-02
- Teens (Geoparent.com)
Provides suggestions for parents who have teens. Also provides good suggestions for teens. 7-02
- Toddlers (Geoparent.com)
Provides suggestions for parents who have toddlers. 7-02
- When Kids Hate Math (FamilyEducation.com - Gisler and Eberts)
Provides suggestions for improving your child's interest in math. "You need to pinpoint your son’s weaknesses in math so that he can improve his work." "In helping your son, you and the tutor should avoid relying solely on drill type work, as it can kill interest in math. Instead, find games that will let him use the skills he needs." 7-02
- Worker Rights - For Teens (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health)
Provides examples of dangerous situations for teens. Also summarizes laws that protect the rights of teens who work. 7-01
- Family Articles (Family.com)
Provides articles for parents and families.
- Senior Leisure Activities (Senior.com)
Rated the number one education site by WEb 100.
- The Disney Channel
Provides the Disney Channel. 10-09
- Developmental Games for Children Ages 1 - 9 (American Psychological Association - KidsPsych)
Provides nine developmental games to teach basic concepts and to promote interaction with parents. Requires Shockwave software (available for free from the site). Loads slowly.
- Homework Assignments from Teachers (Data Sense, Inc. - SchoolNotes)
Provides homework assignments and other notes from teachers participating in the program. A free service for parents to keep up with their children's homework and encourage better communication between parents and teachers. If you want your children's teachers to participate, you will probably need to initiate the process by asking the teachers to post their assignments on this Web site. 9-05